After booking a rental car with Dollar Rent A Car I got reeled in to Travelers Advantage with their offers of "$40 of free gas" which, during the call got "upgraded to $50" and whatever other BS incentives they offer. During the call, the representative "Jaelyn" must have told me.., oh maybe 20-bajillion times that I could call to cancel my membership at ANY time. After one of these times I asked what number to call and he gave me the number 800-526-4848 (and then repeated the "you can call at aanny ti...."). At the time.. of course, it sounded splendid. Well...
Fast forward 3 days and I received an email from not only Travelers Advantage, but also from a "Shoppers Advantage" (tha fudgecake?!) each containing a different membership number. A quick check of the 'ol CC account and whad'ya know - 2 separate $1 charges. $%#@$^%-&^*&% with a side of $%^U^&(^* and a flying #@%&%^=&!!!!! - lets just say my suspicions were, *ahem* aroused. I immediately popped those names into the usually-trusty-if-taken-with-huge-bags-of-salt interwebs and found this site and the reviews/horror stories (including one user who lost $700!!! -- scarily, there could be higher losses, I only read about 4 reviews... -_-).
Not looking to be another victim, I immediately called up the number Jaelyn gave me and dialed an unholy combination of random numbers to skip the automated recordings and have my call directed to a living representative. Turns out: this number was for "Shoppers Advantage" (which remember, I NEVER SIGNED UP FOR NOR HAD EVER HEARD ABOUT) and according to the girl I spoke to (didn't get her name): "Is a completely different service I cannot help you with." Ai caramba..smh :-/ Anyways, after giving her my supposed membership number and letting her know "the company you work for" is scamming people left and right she was fairly quick in giving me a cancellation confirmation number for Shoppers Advantage and informing me that my card would not be charged again.
Next I called the number in the email I received for my Travelers Advantage membership. Surprisingly, there was no automated system on this # (800-648-4037). Instead, the phone was answered by a Hugo, who actually sounded American (the girl at Shoppers Adv. had what sounded like an Indian accent..). I quickly explained my situation and he actually seemed to understand me and my situation..at first anyways. After he saw I'd only signed up 3 days ago he started giving me usual BS about "exploring the benefits" for the rest of the duration of my trial membership to which I curtly said, "I understand you're doing your job Hugo, but seriously just cancel this, I'm all set." He provided me with a cancellation #, informed me that my card would not be charged again and "thanked" me for calling.
You'd think my troubles would be over but from reading other user's troubles with this disgraceful scam-operation I will be keeping a watchful eye on my CC account, not that I don't already as should every person who has a bank account should. If this review helps even one person then my work here is done. Good luck, be safe - it's brutal out there.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Review category
- Travel Agencies
You May Also Like
- "So I've done all the necessary paperwork, mailed back my Itinerary, the whole shebang. I even certified it just to be safe. I have not received a check yet. It's..."
- "Our Review of the Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa in Gatlinburg Tenn..."
- "My mom and I loved the location on the marina and all the different restaurants included in the package! Close walk to all the night life and beach.Would definitely come..."
- "Let's just start off by saying I have always loved Breyers ice cream, especially their Oreo icecream.(I will only get Oreo ice cream if it's from Breyers). However recently I..."
- "I was a client of Boston Financial Associates LLC, for over 5 years as you can see from the invoice I posted. Michael Edwards was very dishonest tax preparer, at..."
- "I took the unit apart. Came in a small aluminum container. The 'chip' and the PC board it was on were a joke. Pure scam. The circuit is nonsense. Not..."
- "This was my first time ordering from fanatics only to learn to just buy from the actual nba store or lakers store next time. They sent me a woman's kobe..."
- "I searched the web for best price on 32oz Minwax Spar Urethane. Found it advertised as sold by and shipped by Supply The Home. There was a price of less..."
- "And here are the large fries that she got after going back......"